Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Five Minute Bento Mama: TJ's Fish Sticks


I'm still reeling from a long, busy weekend and coming up with colds that's why I had to drag myself to the kitchen to prepare my son's lunch. Fortunately, I have prepared and kept steamed broccoli from two nights ago and added his favorite green grapes for healthy sides.


In the morning I just baked Trader Joe's frozen fish sticks in  375 F for 20 minutes. TIP: always keep frozen, instant food for days like this, when you are not feeling well but have to get up to prepare food for your school kid. The baking time exceeds 5 minutes, but within the 20 minutes it's in the oven you can still do other things like bathe him, prepare breakfast, make him eat breakfast, etc.. so technically, the preparation of putting the baked fish sticks to his lunch box takes less than a minute! This is not for mornings when you are running late, but it's for days when your body could only take a 'toss and go' prep.

Trader Joe's Fish Sticks
And because I still had a little time between waiting for my son to finish breakfast and for the fish sticks to bake, I was able to make something creative with carrots and nori. 

made a smiley using a nori sheet and a puncher
I just tossed crackers, cheese and his favorite Maple cookies for his morning snack because again, I was not feeling well the night before so I wasn't able to prepare anything, not even a sandwich. I can't stress enough that it's really helpful if you prepare steamed/boiled veggies days ahead so your kid can still enjoy something healthy even if you're feeling under the weather.

for morning recess






No comments:

Post a Comment