Thursday, June 4, 2015

Learning About God


I grew up in a catholic country, went to a catholic school for twenty straight years. Religious teachings were practically spoon fed to me by the school that's why I never thought i'd ever put an effort to teach it to my kids. My son goes to a non-secular preschool, and United States is pretty much a mixed bag when it comes to religion. So when my eldest son started asking me questions like "who is God?", "who made us?", "who made God?" I realized I have a big responsibility of introducing God to them.

First we taught them how to pray, just a spontaneous prayer every night thanking God for their day. They can tell God whatever they want, later when they can fully understand what a prayer is, I plan to teach them The Lord's Prayer .

Then we've signed them up to a Sunday School in a Christian Church near our house where they learned about the Bible and its verses by storytelling and playing with their classmates. I honestly thought the Sunday School is enough but it lead to more questions from my five year old. I realized, if I want to raise God-fearing kids, I have to prioritize teaching them about God before the lessons on numbers and letters which they will learn in school anyway.

For a start, to answer their "who made us?" question, I made them watch a video about creation. Where they learned about Adam, Eve and the forbidden fruit, I figured I have to followup on the Ten Commandments to instill to them that God is our Creator and He has rules that we have to follow. That's what we are working on this week, from here I will just follow on their lead on what I will teach them next based on the questions that may pop up along the way.

cut the small pictures and let the kiddo paste each commandment to each finger

to make them memorize easier, teach them that the left had holds rules on God and Family
while the right holds the rules on how to treat other people.
(they asked me why there are only 10 commandments, and I answered because we have 10 fingers!)

UNDERSTANDING: make scenarios and let them figure out which commandment
was in the picture.


But for now, more than memorizing the 10 Commandments, I have to make sure they understand each rule so I made paper activities like in this video.



Unlike 123 and ABCs, God and religion are too profound to teach to young minds so I hope this post will give you an idea on where to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment